Saturday, July 30, 2005




Woo Saturday already. Had a bit of a sleep in which was much needed. I guess I had lunch but I can’t remember but later on Yoshihama-san took me snorkling. Oh boy I’ll never forget that. I haven’t been snorkelling in a real coral reef before, it knocked me for six. Just the brightest colours and most bizarre creatures, I recognised a few, a scorpion fish (the one with the long feather like fins which are venomous) and a Fugu (puffer fish) , it was just awesome. My neighbour Kamiama-san joined me and we found a few shell fish, one clam like thing which took us ages to get out and which I cut my hand on. I was sort of worried that I might attract a shark or something, but Kamiama-san assured me it was fine, I guess I am a reef newbie. We had swum out quite far to I got a ride back on Kamiama-sans son’s kayak. I was stoked after that experience, I think I will be in the sea a lot! At night there was a festival which started by walking around the village and banging these metal barrels and drinking a lot, singing this song. I got given a banging thing so had immense fun, partly due to being continually forced to drink by old ladies. Then we had a sort of face off with the other half of the village, it was north vs south I think. There was a line on the road and we would advance and then retreat upto this line while banging our drums, a couple of old men had goes at each other, trying to hit each other with the metal things! Then we had a tug of war between the two side with the huge rope we had made the day before, our side won, one nil to the south (at least I think we were south). The we had another fighty thing, each side held up a wooden platform on which two guys stood and had to try and knock the other sides two guys off their platform. I helped carry our platform and I think we eventually won, it was pretty intense though, no holds barred! Then there was some dancing and more drinking, I was dragged into the middle of the dancing ring and at one point was the only one dancing, interesting. And then the finale, sumu! Anyone could enter and challenge, first the kids then women went. So I watched a couple of the mens fights and then had a go myself, I beat three dudes and then no-one would challenge me, so I guess I won. I won myself four bags of Izena rice for that. We then drank into the wee hours at some blokes house.

No comments: