Wednesday, July 27, 2005


Ok so I finally get to Okinawa! It was a 3 hour flight from Tokyo to Naha in Okinawa, we flew in a 747 which I thought was a bit much for a wee island but we got to sit up the upper deck so that was quite exiting. Oh and the plain had a camera at the front so they played live footage form the front of the plane throughout the flight, very cool. Mmmm yes so being a Municipal JET I was due to meet my supervisor as soon as I arrived. He didn't speak any English! luckily Nick my predecessor was there two and he’s become pretty good at Japanese. Because Izena is quite far from Naha we stayed the night in Naha. I went out to another Izekia with my supervisor ( Okuma-sensei) and Nick, it was very nice, Ukuma-sensei kept ordering food though, I don’t think iv ever eaten so much, I think he wanted me to try all Japanese food that night, anyway he seemed like a really nice bloke. We then met up with some of the other Jets, old and new at a gaijin bar (non Japanese persons bar) and had a blast, there sure are some crazy people on JET! But I figure I won't see them an awful lot, what with being on a small island, although I am only one hour ferry from Nago and half an hours flight by TINY aeroplane from Naha. Andrew, another new JET and awesome guy from Ohio, is going to an even smaller island (900 people) which is 3 hours from the mainland! I hope he has an amazing time. So just for the record, since Friday night (22 or 21 st or july) I had had no more than a few hours sleep a night, my eyes are burning. Oh Okuma-sensei took me to see the castle the Ryuku kings lived in (Okinawa was the Ryuku kingdom before Japan took it about 600 yrs ago). You may notice it looks similar to the forbidden palace in China. Okinawan architecture is a mix of Japanese and Chinese styles.

No comments: