Monday, October 02, 2006

Well I had a fun weekend......kind of. I spent my weekend training training training. Saturday I did a 1.5k swim followed by 66k bike and lastly a 10k run. I was fine until the run, then my world turned rather painful. Not encouraging, the actually race will be a 20k run. So on sunday I ignored my tired limbs and did a 28k bike and then a 20k run. I did it, but 18 minutes off the pace I would ideally want. Hopefully it was just because my legs were knackered from saturdays training. I think I aught to work on the run more though, I am still slow slow slow! During the swim I had a bit of a scare. I was swimming up and down izena beach, the tide wasn't fully in so the water was only about waist deap. I saw a flash of black and white stripes down to my right, sea snake I think!? No no, I tell myself you are just being paranoid, that's when it swim right under me - I could easily have touched it. I managed to hold it together, not keep looking around and swim to the end of that lap. Then I stop and have a serious think about wether to swim back (sea snakes being a little on the venemous side). In the end I do finish my swim but I kept a sharp eye out for underwater critters, which is perhaps why I saw a cuttlefish, the first one I have seen here. Pretty cool looking creatures. On the sat I also had a meeting with a couple from Okinawa honto and the Izena triathlon organisers. The couple had volenteered to take care of the english language side of the triathlon and baby the international triathletes (27 this year). The man was American and his wife Japanese (from tokyo). It was interesting to note he didn't seem to speak a jot of japanese but that their highschool aged daughter was fluent in both Japanese and English. Lucky girl. This year I am fully in charge of the international friendship meeting, unlike last year when I had no input, was not told anything aside from the fact I had to play the keyboard and when I rocked up was told I had to MC as well....great! but I have no idea what's happening! This year will be different! I just weighted myself today, 67.5 kg, I swear I was 70kg last week. Screw faddy diets, just train for a triathlon (I was 78/9 kg when I first came to Okinawa - although alot of what I lost was muscle weight, I am skinny now :-( ). I must point out this is with eating calory mate bars inbetween meals to keep my energy up. Today I am going to see if I can get triple helpings of Kyushoku (school lunch).
Keep the peace.

Update: I managed my three helpings and re-weighed myself, 68kg, 1.5kg of lunch (ie. rice and fish), nice..... well it would be nice if I wasn't still hungry! Time to go home and find some more food.

No comments: