Friday, May 12, 2006



MALLET FINGER! Yes that is what I have apparently! According to my quick internet search anyway. So if you remember (and if you don't you only need to scroll down and look at my post on the topic) I cut my finger while bashing a shellfish out of a rock about a month ago. I thought it was just a cut and naturally didn't want to be a big baby about it and a band aid and a bit of iodine splashed on was all the treatment I gave it. In fact if Kelly had not been there I doubt it would have even got that treatment! It was a little crooked at the time but I didn't think much of it and assumed it was because of the swelling at the top my finger, around the cut. But one month later the swelling had much reduced but the crick was much more pronounced. It was also still slightly sore so when it was suggested to me that perhaps I should see a doctor I did so fearing perhaps there was infection. It turns out I severed the extensor tendon of that finger! The tendon is cut almost exactly at the end joint of my finger so only the tip is crooked, if the cut had been higher up the situation would have been much more serious. It may be fixable; I gather from my limited research, that if left for a long time the tendon my cause bleeding and scarring further up and along the tendon sheath making it unusable in which case it won't be very fixable. Also it was not cut with the knife but on the slightly rougher edge of the shell. It is not a bit deal, I can live with it! The finger is still functional as the flexor tendon is still intact so I can exert downward force with no pain but in case of further complications I do want to have it checked out. Luckily the Ryukyu university hospital here in Okinawa is renowned for hand surgery according to my island doctor so I will go there. Enjoy the pics! The other picture if of Teru and company working on a new Izekaiya on Izena which will be opening tonite! Exiting!

4 comments:

Craig Mauelshagen said...

Thanks babe! I appreciate it. That’s a piece of genuine thinking throne thinking ya know!

Anonymous said...

Craig. I have no idea if you remember me but I went to school with you in Thurso. I remember when we were in art you putting all these bits of paper on the floor and putting paint on your shoes and then just walking about on them. Of course I got the blame for it!!! I always had massive respect for your style though! Well I'm married now and have a daughter called Anna who is six months old and I randomly came across this site I couldn't beleive it was you. Blast from the past or what!!! My email is bigupthekelb@yahoo.co.uk if you fancy staying in touch.Webpage wise http://spaces.msn.com/fattyfattyfattyface has some lovely pics of my daughter and husband if you fancy checking it out. So cool to remember our fun conversations in art. Mind you I have a good memory, so don't worry if your drawing a blank ;)Would be great to hear from you though. Love. Kristie xxx

Elvira said...

did you ever get that finger fixed?

Elvira said...

ps...i cant get into keldog page.... whats her url?