Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Evening all. I would like to use this post to tell you how undeniably great otters are. That's right you heard me, OTTERS! So after getting home at about 9pm from my English conversation class I threw together some victuals (literally) and feeling too tired and brain dead to even read I turning on the goggle box. The program was about otters. First of all I was entranced at how cute and friendly they were. Running around in their group/extended family; playing in the water and rolling around together in sand bands. Then we see their hunting prowess, flashing around underwater in hot pursuit of elusive aquatic prey which when caught they would share with the other member of their romp (yes that is what a group of otters is very appropriately called). Now for the best bit! A large African crocodile slides into the water; the otters suddenly get agitated craning their long necks to spot where the now submerged crocodile has gone. I prayed that the romp (I like that word) would escape with all fingers and toes intact. I couldn't have been more wrong. The delightfully rascally and audacious otters (not to mention brave!) took the crocodile head on! First I though why aren't they swimming away, why are they getting so close to that rather large and toothy reptilian? Then they started attacking it! Even nipping in to bite the croc around its jaws. The best bit was when after the croc had retired to a sand bank a particularly cheeky otter snuck up and bit the tip of its tail! Bear in mind this is a 4 metre African crocodile and the otters can only have been a couple of feet long. Anyway, there you have it, otters rock and don't you dare say otherwise.

No comments: