Wednesday, April 12, 2006


I saw a snake today! Well in-fact I saw a snake 2 weeks ago too but that one was of the deceased variety. Having had an unfortunate run in with a car its profile had been severely diminished. The dead snake I have identified with some certainty as 'Akamata' to give it its Japanese name. Its scientific name is Dinodon semicarinatus. Upon describing it to a co-worker he also thought it was 'Akamata'. The second snake is a little more of a mystery. I didn't get a picture of this was as I was on a run but I did get to observe it up close (a few feet) for a couple of minutes. It was also on the road so not obscured by vegetation however judging by the size (about one foot) I think it was a juvenile and therefore possibly not fully displaying its adult characteristics. It is possible it was a Habu (The term Habu is actually a blanket term for three species of Viper). This would be interesting as it is claimed Izena has no Habu. Its colouration suggested Habu (probably Trimeresurus flavoviridis) but it definitely did not have the arrow shaped head typical of Vipers (to contain their heat sensing pits). Perhaps Vipers do not develop the characteristic head shape until later in life but I shall have to look into it. Stay tuned to discover if Izena is being infiltrated by the deadly Habu!

No comments: