Tuesday, September 06, 2005


I had my last introduction class Today and I kind of ended on a high. The others had gone pretty well, round of applause when I take of the mask and the questions didn’t require too much prompting. The last class I introduced myself too were the second years at the junior high, and I had been warned that they were very shy, so I was expecting silent stares, sleeping and stubborn refusal to answer questions but they were awesome, the most animated of all the years I think. I had much laughter and pointing when I came in with the mask on, and they launched into asking the question with much more gusto than any of the other years, I had a small forest of hand wanting to ask questions. The rest of the lesson went well and quickly, so far they are my favorite class. Here is one amusing story from the class; there were two boys who decided to take a nap, I have to admit the girls of the class were by far the more enthusiastic, and the girls at that lunch table kept hitting them and saying ‘excuse me’ and ‘hurry up!’ (with Japanese accents of course). It amused me anyway ;). The JTE afterwards told me she was surprised the kids weren’t shy, well she didn’t figure on Scottish charm that’s what! Yeah Scotland! In general I find the students here much more relaxed and enthusiastic in class than I remember Scottish students as being. Although the class room is a more relaxed place in general here it seems, sleeping in class and refusal to answer questions are perfectly acceptable here. Anyway I am feeling very good about that class so I thought I would post my thought about it. I also had an english conversation class today and that was awsome too, I guess its going to be kids who like enligsh anyways but at the end a boy came up and thanked me for a fun lesson, that made me feel good. Ok I realise I may be gushing a little bit, but I kinda expected to kids to be like scottish kids and not very interested in class so I am kinda stoked at how cool they are. I have no picture of the class so I shall include one of when I was snooping around the coral rock when the tide was out, in the picture the tide is coming in and rushing between the gaps in the old coral rock. That’s Nagi, one of my taiko friends in the distance. Oh and the big pyramidal rock is called ‘Izena castle’, although I have no idea of the Japanese name. Posted by Picasa

No comments: