Monday, September 05, 2005

I had my first class last Friday. It was my introduction lesson, so basically lots of pictures of me and Scotland and me talking about myself. It went pretty well, I think, I came in with a paper mask over my head and they had to ask me some questions before I would reveal myself, I totally stole the idea from the Naha orientation but hey. They all had already seen me, but I think it's good to start of a little crazy/weird. It was the 3rd year class at the junior high school, so they were interesting in and pretty good at English; I suspect the younger years will be a bit more reluctant to speak out in class. So at this moment we are in the middle of a typhoon, luckily though it veered north at the last minute and so Izena was spared the worst of it. The waves around Izena were pretty impressive yesterday, it is windier today but its also raining allot, so no pictures. I didn't manage to go swimming as I had planned on Saturday as it was a bit too rough out at sea. It was also low tide so I and Nagi had a wonder around the exposed coral/rock and had a gander at all the things trapped in little pools. I am amazed at the amount of stuff living in the sea here. I also had my welcome party for the junior high school on Friday night, so food, drink and lots of speeches! I had Natsu-sensei help me make a longer speak which I read off a piece of paper, but it went down very well indeed. It is true that some Japanese will only become your friend after you have been drunk with them I think. There are two teachers in the school that rarely talk, one I think hadn't talked to me at all, but once they had drunk a little, wow, different story. I and the two previously tight lipped teachers stayed up the longest drinking, talking etc. good fun! I then got together with them and a few others for a game of touch rugby the next day also very good fun! I managed to put on a reasonably dazzling display of quick feet and speed, one of the teachers seems keen to organise some touch rugger for the junior high school kids, definitely looking forward to doing that. Sunday was mostly spent indoors due to the typhoon, although I did pop out to take the pictures of the sea. I also managed to practice a little on my keyboard which was good as I haven’t had enough free time to do that yet. A couple of my Taiko friends are keen to play some music with me so I must dust of my ancient and dilapidated piano skills soon! Well take care y'all, I have TWO classes today! Busy Busy Busy ;)

No comments: