Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Sorry my camera is still broken so just phone pics. The above picture is very Okinawa to me, traditional Okinawan dance to honour the ancestors with the sea in the background, and a coral stone wall to boot. Sigh.....
Today the Shimi ceremony took place. I think that is what it is called. It was a ceremony to honour Shoen (king sho-en). I am sure you know he was an important Ryukyu (Okinawan) king who founded the longest running ryukyu dynasty and he came from Izena! Apparently, according to one of the other teachers, Izena has to do this Shimi to honour Shoen before they can do the same ceremony on Okinawa honto (the main island). I expect perhaps all the old Okinawan kings have to be honoured each year. It will appear in the Okinawa times, the local newspaper and last year it was televised as well. I didn't really appreciate it last year but I got to sit with all the old and important people in their black suit on the raised platform in from of the tomb.....wearing red trackies and a blue T-shirt - woops. I just copied everyone else, blowing, praying etc. In the picture of last years ceremony in the paper you can see my blonde hair poking up behind the black suited, black haired masses. This year I lurked in the background. Unlike last year there were also a few performances of traditional music and dance, I have posted a couple of pics for you viewing pleasure.

4 comments:

Craig Mauelshagen said...

your camera phone pics are still really nice! thanks for sharing!
kel
hmmmm it appears this might post like craig wrote it. but indeed he did not!

John Hayato said...

Very nice pics Craig. That first pic would be very cool from a nice camera and then printed and put on my wall.

Craig Mauelshagen said...

I know! I wish I had had a nice camera then. Kind of a wasted photo op! All I have is that teaser of what might have been, grrrrr Canon and their flimsy battery doors!

Sumochewsgum said...

wow,very beautiful. i must say i am jealous of ur time n experience in okinawa craig. very lucky!! i loved mine too dont get me wrong but its hella different