Monday, August 01, 2005


I go into work a little late but it doesn't matter, none of the other teachers seem to be in. I can't remember if I said but it is the summer holidays so there is little work to do, the teachers who do come in to work only do so to run sports clubs. I meet Natsu-sensei (english teacher), her english is very good, she runs the tennis club so I go and play with the kids, we chat a bit. So I meet a guy at the school, he's some sort of secretary, anyway he surfs and I mention I want to surf. Monday is a half day, normally I would then have a conversation class from 6 to 9 but it is the holidays. Anyway I get back to my house and have a nap and am woken up by the surfing dude at about 4pm, he's like lets surf now! So off we go and surf. It was a loooooooooooong paddle out to the waves (at the edge of the reef) but totally worth it. The waves are pretty small but that’s ok, I caught a couple although I was a little nervous of the coral. It was shallow enough i could stand on the coral, which isn't a good idea becasue it's pretty sharp and very hard there are also spiky sea urchins etc. After surfing we paddle back as it is getting dark and I then go and watch the Teiko drummers. These dudes are awesome, they are practicing for the festivals this weekend and also for a competition. They are seriously good, hopefully I will get to try it out at some point. The picture shows the elementry school, it's about twice as large as they need. The island used to have a population of around 6000 in the 50's but this has slowly declined to the present 2000.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Craiggy!!! Wow this blog is really amazing! I wish I was there with you! I cant believe that you are actually doing it, you are in Japan!! It looks like you are having a lot of fun too, I have to admit, I am a bit jealous! All I am excited about is another year at the International House :) I loved visiting you in Edinburgh, and maybe I'll come see you in Okinawa!! I'll talk to you soon! And can you let me know a mailing address for you? We could be real pen pals, and you can send me a letter in the new Japanese you are learning!

Ciao baby! or Sionara (I have no idea how to spell that)

Alex (Babushka)